What is peace?
Recap of the POP TV session on the discussion of the definitions of Peace, Culture of Peace and the 8 peace keys with Facilitator Michelle (Mikee) Asuncion in 2011.
Summary of Peace Goals:
- Foster a culture of peace through education
- Promote sustainable economic and social development
- Promote respect for all human rights
- Ensure equality between men and women
- Foster democratic participation
- Advance understanding tolerance and solidarity
- Support participatory communication and the free flow of information and knowledge
- Promote international peace and security
Exploring issues of peace in the news:
Myanmar (Burma), Development in Peace Talks:
On January 12, the US restores diplomatic relations with Myanmar. As a response to the new civil government’s campaign of rapid political and economic changes, a ceasefire agreement with the ethnic Karen rebels were agreed upon. Also, in the course of the years, there was a release of 651 prominent political prisoners. US President Obama released and granted pardon of the prisoners. These actions serve as a substantial step toward a democratic reform, according to President Obama.
Hillary Clinton says countries will upgrade diplomatic ties after Burmese president Thein Sein freed political prisoners
Peace work done by organizations/initiatives in different regions:
Asia – Burma
Middle East – Israel & Palestine
- Peacecorps in Rwanda
- First TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language, 2009)
- Facilitated collaboration with other US government partners to support the government of Rwanda’s strategy to combat the HIV/AIDs pandemic
- Amnesty International
- African Commission for Human and Peoples’ Rights
- Responsible for protection and promotion of human rights and internationalization of African Charter on human and peoples’ rights
- Sphere project 1997
- Improvement of quality of assistance to people affected by natural disasters
- Catholic relief services in Rwanda
- Local peace initiatives
Have you witnessed former and/or current peace work initiatives in your region?
What are the focuses of these initiatives?
Do you think they are successful in the promotion of peace?
Have you been involved in one of these peace initiatives or campaigns?
Would you like to expand your horizons in helping in the promotion of peace? In what ways will you be able to achieve this?